Welcome to the Official Site of the Woodhirst Home-Owners Association
History of Woodhirst
Mary Goldsborough became heir to 1300 acres of land south of Braddock Road and west of Rolling Road owned originally by William Fitzhugh. In 1849 she did much to shape our neighborhood by selling “as much land as needed” to the Orange and Alexandria RR for one dollar. In 1852 she contacted Silas Burke to have the property surveyed and divided. One parcel now forms the western boundary of Signal Hill. The eastern 350 acres went to R.H. Dulaney for $3,500. After the Civil War, Dulaney sold the entire property to Upton Herbert for only $2,500. The Herbert family held the property (the Herbert Farm) until 1946, at which time it was sold to Omer and Ann Hirst. Around 1962 the Hirsts built the home at the end of Narnia Court. In 1965 Omer became a Virginia State Legislator and their home became a center of Virginia social life. Ann Hirst was given the house and the surrounding 40 acres in 1972 as part of a divorce settlement. These 40 acres became the outline of the Meadows of Narnia (Woodhirst) subdivision.
Today, Woodhirst is home to 135 families.